2017 Symposium for Service Providers with Bilingual Populations
Are you a speech pathologist, audiologist, psychologist, or student who supports or would like to serve a bilingual population? Would you like to earn CEUs in a luxurious destination by the beach? If you answered “yes” to one or both of these questions, then you should attend our 2017 Bilingual Symposium in Miami Beach, Florida this summer!
Our Symposium will be held from July 20-23, 2017 right in the heart of South Beach, Miami. This 3-day event hosted right on the beautiful white sands of South Florida is a wonderful opportunity for you to learn new tactics for evaluating and supporting your bilingual clients while networking with other service providers from across the globe!
During our Symposium, you will:
- Gain tools you can use on “Monday morning” to advocate for and provide appropriate assessments to culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Learn how to reduce misdiagnosis of communication disorders.
- Have the opportunity to ask questions about current knowledge and practices in bilingual assessment and intervention.
- Earn up to 1.1 ASHA CEUs (11 hours)!
Though the conference is geared primarily towards speech pathology, we’ve found that many of our topics have been beneficial for clinicians from other disciplines, such as audiologists, psychologists, and bilingual educators! Our conference is open to the public and we welcome any education professional who has the desire to learn. Students are also welcome, as the evidence and information offered in the sessions can be applied to their graduate work and clinical practicum.
This year, we have an impressive roster of presenters, including:
- Betty Yu, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, an Associate Professor in the Communicative Disorders Program at San Francisco State University.
- Leah Fabiano-Smith, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, an assistant professor in the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at the University of Arizona.
- Chelsea Privette, M.Ed., a doctoral student in the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at the University of Arizona under the mentorship of Dr. Leah Fabiano-Smith.
- Catherine Crowley, JD, Ph.D., CCC-SLP-F, Professor of Practice at Teachers College Columbia University, where she coordinates the bilingual/multicultural program focus and directs the Bilingual Extension Institute.
- Lorena Diaz, M.A., CCC-SLP, a Master Clinician/Mentor in the Teachers College Columbia University Bilingual Extension Institute for SLPs.
- Melissa White, M.A., CCC-SLP, our co-clinical director of Bilingual Therapies.
- Nate Cornish, M.A. CCC-SLP, our co-clinical director of Bilingual Therapies.
One of the highlights of this year’s Symposium is the location! The conference will be held at the Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach, an iconic oceanfront gem only steps away from Miami Beach’s white sands. You’ll feel like a movie star as soon as you enter the hotel. Between its private beach club, delicious cuisine, carefully crafted cocktails, and soothing spa treatments, this hotel offers more than you’ve ever imagined for your trip to Miami Beach.
Our registration deadline is June 1st! Reserve your spot today by registering here.
*BONUS* We are also raffling off free airfare to Miami for all attendees who are registered by Tuesday, May 30th at 5 pm EDT. Follow us on Facebook for updates & more info!